Tourism, Culture, Industry and Innovation

Science & Research

Provincial parks can be excellent places to conduct scientific research. And that research can definitely serve our parks and park reserves, because it provides much-needed information about how species and natural systems function, cope, thrive, fail, and adapt.

Without in-depth knowledge of our natural systems, we cannot hope to begin to understand all the ways we interact with, affect, and are affected by the natural world. Research provides important biophysical data for a wide variety of interested audiences, and it assists the Province in managing its parks and park reserves.

Scientific research is therefore encouraged in the province's protected areas. Please note that permits are required.


Research in provincial parks and park reserves requires authorization by the Parks Division. Researchers must apply for a scientific research permit, and carry it with them when conducting their research in the protected area.

Applications are evaluated by the Parks Division. The criteria used include:

  • the purpose of the research and the proposed methodology
  • whether the project duplicates work already completed or currently underway in the protected area
  • the scientific credentials of the researchers
  • how the results of the study might help management of the protected area

Research applications are evaluated as they are received. It is advisable to allow for a minimum of three weeks' processing time.

Conditions of a scientific research permit include compliance with the legislation governing it's protection (Provincial Parks Act, or Lands Act). Generally, all scientific work must be non-invasive and non-intrusive—it cannot be done in a way that destroys or diminishes the protected area.There are a few exceptions to the regulations for researchers, such as collecting specimens, which are outlined in the appropriate regulations and may also be listed on the permit. Other conditions may also apply.

Multi-year permits may be requested, to a maximum limit of three years.

Successful applicants must submit a Field Report one month after their field season has ended, a Final Report by January 31 following the final year of the research, and any published material resulting from the work.


Anyone conducting scientific research and/or monitoring in a park or reserve must have a valid scientific research permit PDF (271 KB)

The information required for a permit application includes the following details about the proposed study:

  • title
  • objective(s)
  • detailed description of the proposed methodology, including full disclosure of any proposed removal or displacement of materials (plants, insects, animals, sand, etc.)
  • expected duration, with start and end dates of both fieldwork and final analysis
  • the names, positions, affiliations, and professional/technical qualifications of all individuals involved
  • any other permits required (e.g. Canadian Wildlife Service, Animal Care, Inland Fish and Wildlife Division)

If a permit is granted and the project proceeds, researchers must submit to the Parks Division:

  • a Field Report one month after their field season has ended
  • a Final Report by January 31 following the final year of the research
  • any published material resulting from the work

Other conditions may also apply. There is no fee charged for a permit.

For more information on scientific research permits, or if you have any questions, please contact Parks Division

Important note on timing: Allow a minimum of three weeks for your application to be processed.

Research Projects

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free opens new window


Quick Links

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.